The Control Room Operator job (multiple positions) near Fort McMurray, Alberta is a full time contract position with our Oil &Gas client. The Control Room Operator is responsible for maintaining the safe and reliable monitoring and operation of the process equipment via the distributive control system (DCS) within Secondary Extraction to optimize production in a safe and environmentally responsible manner as per the production plan. The Control Room Operator role executes production plan activities with other Control Room Operators and provides direction to the on-shift Operators throughout the plant to help ensure the safe and efficient operation of fixed plant assets and equipment.
Responsibilities of the Control Room Operator
- Prior to Operation the Control Room Operator will also be involved with all aspects of RFO (Ready For Operations) including but not limited to: Operating Procedure development, DCS FAT testing, development of the OTS (Operator Training Simulator), System Walkdowns, Commissioning & Start-up activities (including loop checks), Operator training & development, etc.
- Coordinate and monitor plant operations through control panels, computer terminals and other control systems
- Make key decisions to change/adjust process to respond to unit conditions
- Identify any area of concern, troubleshoot and make necessary adjustments of equipment
- Control and regulate flow rates, temperatures, pressures, ands vessel levels within the operating plant
- Initial responder to emergency response, evacuation, start up and shut down of systems as required, etc. and will be the communication link to ERT and other FH areas
- Close collaboration with the Supervisor and Unit Operators to ensure a safe, effective & efficient monitoring and control of operations
- Close collaboration with the Operations Area Managers and the Process Engineers to ensure adherence to the production plan in the most efficient and optimized manner possible
- Maintain shift log and other data and prepare operational, production and other reports as required and review all shift activities and log book entries with the Control Room Operator coming on / off shift
- Report abnormal and unusual process conditions, including equipment malfunctions, to the Maintenance, Process and/or Reliability teams
- Spend time in the field completing CSU tasks and familiarizing self with the plant.
- Exhibit strong judgment, analytical and decision making skills for complex operational issues
- Strong organizational skills, ability to manage conflicting priorities and deliver on aggressive timelines in operations environment
- Possess exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to work closely with others at various levels / across a multitude of business units
- Demonstrated team leadership skills
- Strong commitment to environment, health & safety and ability to lead by example
- Demonstrate expertise and in depth technical knowledge of plant operations and experience using control panels, computer terminals or other control systems (preferably Honeywell Experion)
- Understand complex technical operating environment, coordinating of daily objectives and setting priorities to achieve daily production plan
- Strong working knowledge of EH&S regulations and an understanding of Loss Management techniques
- Exhibit competency in Microsoft office and the use of at least one industry standard ERP (preferably SAP)
- Trade Certificate, Diploma or Degree in a relevant technical field (e.g. Engineering) or equivalent operational experience.
- Prefer a minimum of 10 years Refining, Petrochemical, Extraction and/or Mineral Processing experience.
- A minimum 5 years working on the DCS as a Control Room Operator
- High School diploma, General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or equivalent
*This is a site based rotational role on a 7/7 schedule. Fly in Fly out only from Edmonton or Calgary, Camp accommodations provided. Shifts will be a combination of Days/ Nights.
Qualified candidates interested in the Control Room Operator job near Fort McMurray, AB, please apply online at www.roevin.ca.
We thank all applicants however, due to volume, only those moving forward in the recruitment process will be contacted; your resume will be added to our database for consideration of future opportunities.