Would you love to cook for the athletes that partake in Cirque du Soleil? This is your chance! Cirque du Soleil are coming to Toronto and look for various Kitchen opportunities.
Line Cook Job Description:
• Assist Cirque chefs in the day to day operations of Volta's kitchen as instructed. Must move with a purpose and perform all tasks in a timely manner.
• Assist Cirque chefs in preparing and serving meals which changes daily and comes from a wide range of international cuisines in a safe, presentable, and professional manner.
• Maintain the bread station, sandwich station, fruit baskets, dessert bar, condiments tray, coffee station, and juice fridge as instructed by the chefs. This includes prep work such as slicing deli-meats and plating-up trays for service and backups.
• Maintain the cleanliness of fridges (both display and back of house) and storage areas by strictly following food safety practices such as preventing cross contamination, FIFO, proper preparation, labeling, and storage of food; using appropriate cleaning products, keeping food at safe temperatures, etc.
• Clean and maintain all prep areas, cooking areas, cooking equipment, and hood vents on a regular basis.
• Assist in proper composting and recycling.
• Assist kitchenhands through mutual respect of work areas.
• Assist chefs in the teardown and setup of kitchen, and catering areas. This includes working outdoors and in a temporary kitchen for the first and last week of the run while construction is going on.
Line Cook Requirements:
• Minimum 3 years full time experience in a busy professional kitchen, or 1-2 years’ culinary school plus 2 years’ full time experience in a busy professional kitchen
• Must have at least 2 years’ total experience in a position higher than a prep cook.
• Physically able, highly motivated, willing to be trained. This position is physically demanding.
• Must be able to demonstrate good knife skills for precision cuts such as julienne, battons, brunoise, macedoine, etc. Must own well maintained and sharp personal knives.
• Must be able to demonstrate consistent and proper cooking skills and techniques such as sautée, grill, fry, braise, and roast.
• Able to take instructions from Cirque chefs and work in a team environment with other local chefs and kitchen hands.
• HACCAP or ServSafe Certificates less than 5 years is a plus.
• A good understanding and practice of basic kitchen etiquette is a plus.
• Must own proper kitchen attire: closed toe waterproof shoes, chefs jacket or plain t-shirt, chefs pant or shorts up to the knee, chefs apron, and hair cover.
• Available to work during the entire run of the show including weekends